1. Timing? (morning workout, mid-day, evening, etc.). For example, if you are working out first thing in the morning, it might be tough to stomach an entire large breakfast. A liquid option like a protein shake might be a better option.
2. Intensity? (Heavy weight training, sport specific exercise, HITT, long duration endurance). For the more intense workouts it is important to have proper fuel in your system to avoid fatigue.
Post workout considerations:
1. Timing: If you are participating in a higher intensity workout, you want to make sure to get in a mix of fast- absorbing carbohydrates as well as high quality protein in order to replenish glycogen stores as well as stimulate protein synthesis. This is best achieved in a recovery formula such as BioSteel's Advanced Recovery Formula. This is a great post workout meal along with a combination of complex carbohydrates (brown rice, quinoa, sweet potato etc.), quality protein (chicken, fish or plant-based source etc.), and fiber-rich vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, leafy greens etc.).
2. Goals: Sport-specific performance based, muscle gain, fat loss, etc.
Additional considerations for Post Workout:
Branch Chain Amino Acids (High Performance Sports Mix) benefits:
• Improves lean muscle mass by helping to trigger protein synthesis and inhibit the breakdown of muscle.
• Improve glucose uptake and insulin sensitivity which is crucial for muscle building and fat loss.
• Helps to improve muscles energy production
• Improves muscle soreness and recovery by decreasing fatigue.
• Has significant benefits on digestion by improving absorption of nutrients in our intestinal tracts
• Promotes muscle growth and decrease muscle wasting
• Improves athletic performance and strength
• Helps to decrease fatigue after intense workouts
As a final note, always pay attention to what works best for you! Try different macronutrient combinations and track your progress.
There are a lot of factors when it comes to achieving your goals in the gym such as getting a proper sleep, managing stress/the nervous system and practicing in other recovery modalities which are all important in optimizing your results.